Breakfast at Judy’s

Apologies; the only pictures I took this week are me sitting at the computer with bad posture.

傳ing the 教 on Facebook.

​Leaning forward.

Since Wednesday was our combined P-day/temple day, we didn’t have much time to spare. Luckily, we discovered that there’s a second Macho Tacos in the Dongmen/Guting area neighboring the temple. We found it after a few minutes of searching on foot. Elder Azua wasn’t too enamored with the cuisine, but it’s about as close to genuine as you can find in Taiwan. Also, he spoke Spanish to the Taiwanese staff, so the food he got was completely different from what he ordered.

We went with some members at their request to hand out tracts at the Le Hua night market in our area. It’s a pretty crazy contacting environment. Imagine a noisy state fair without the rides, crammed into a narrow street and packed wall-to-wall with people. There are lots of salesmen in unusual costumes who walk on tall stilts to elevate them above the level of the thronging crowd. The people are many, but it’s difficult to get anyone to stop and listen. It’s always fun to contact with members, though, regardless of the place.

Friday was packed with lessons. Two of them were 同學s (young students), who are usually quite prone to release our pigeons, but these ones were pretty willing. Finding Iain, the second one, was quite an adventure. His apartment was hidden within a huge conglomeration of mashed-together buildings separated by tiny alleys. It was one of the most complicated apartment complexes I’ve ever seen. Nevertheless, after knocking several doors in vain, we at last found it, and he and his mom welcomed us inside.

We ate with members at Subway on Saturday.

At our area’s Subway.

​Elder Montierth is surprised at Subway.

I finally had enough time to buy some WD-40 and spray it on my bike chain and gears, which were cankered with rust. It brought a welcome cease to the squeaking.

Other mechanical successes: after several months of enduring the boiling-hot flow from our bathroom faucet, I realized that the only reason it wasn’t bringing forth cold water was that the cold-water valve at the base was closed. I opened it. We now have control over the temperature.

At last, I picked up the package my parents sent me at Christmas! It had, in fact, been whiling away in a back room at the mission office all this time. Upon opening the welcome box, however, I discovered that the Cap’n Crunch contained in a ziploc bag within had not even become stale yet. I have since poured myself several crunch-tastic bowls.

Our room has also started a tradition of going to one of our investigator’s breakfast shop to eat every Monday morning. They have pretty good fantuans and danbings, and Elders Clark and Azua can make daily contact with their investigator, Judy.

That’s about all for this week. Everything’s going pretty smoothly. If my English seems worse than usual, it’s because I have been speaking nothing but Chinese since Christmas. Also, I know enough characters now that I’ve started reading the Book of Mormon in Chinese. I want to finish all of the standard works by the time I’m done with my mission.

Elder Elliott


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s